"We seek an enlargement of our beings. We want to be more than ourselves. . . We want to see with other eyes, to imagine with other imaginations, to feel with other hearts, as well as with our own. . . We demand windows." - C. S. Lewis

You'll be Ready When it Happens

Untitled by Lola Marang
When we are anticipating something big, be it a new job, a new school, or a new baby, we often share the same sentiment: "I'm not ready." And that's exactly right. We aren't prepared to drive two hours to a new city, or to let our children grow up, or to start middle school. And the reason why is that we're not there yet. 

When I first learned to drive, I felt like I wasn't ready to drive by myself. Because I wasn't. I hardly knew which pedal was which, let alone how to be aware of my surroundings. A year and a half later, when I finally passed my driver's test and got my license, I still felt unprepared, like I didn't have the skills or knowledge to drive independently. This time, the feeling was false, and I proved it. Forty minutes after I received my license, I completed a successful independent drive without incident. 

The same thing is going to happen when I move to college in two weeks. When I first started my applications, I was full of worries. "I'm not ready for this. I don't even know my Social Security number. How am I supposed to go live without my parents?" Even when I made the decision on which college to attend, I still felt like I wasn't actually ready to be a college student, let alone an adult. "Do people wear backpacks? How do I file my taxes without my mom?" Now, while I still have some uncertainties, I know that the transition will be smooth, because in all that time I spent worrying about whether I was ready, I was slowly becoming prepared. 

Here's the thing: when we feel underprepared for tasks or trials in our future, it's likely because we are underprepared. However, by the time that thing we are so worried about is actually upon us, chances are we will have gained the skills, knowledge, and mindset necessary to accomplish it. Instead of worrying about our preparation for the future, we should take the time to actually prepare ourselves.

What does that look like? Gaining meaningful skills is going to look different in every context. For the incoming college freshman, it might look like learning to budget or reaching out to current students. For the new mom, it might be calling friends and relatives to ask about what kind of crib to buy or how to feel rested. For the budding driver, it might mean listening to Mom and Dad's advice, or practicing in parking lots. 

Worry is not preparation. Asking questions and learning is. Being mindful of where we are currently and where we hope to go in the future is exactly the kind of understanding that helps us to realize that we aren't meant to be prepared for everything yet. We're meant to be gradually learning and growing, and becoming more and more ready every day. That way, when the big thing we've been waiting for finally comes, we will be able to tackle it with ease. 

Comments

Popular Posts

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - John Milton