"We seek an enlargement of our beings. We want to be more than ourselves. . . We want to see with other eyes, to imagine with other imaginations, to feel with other hearts, as well as with our own. . . We demand windows." - C. S. Lewis

Disagreeing Properly

Tom Roberts
One thing I've loved about my Christian college so far is the fact that as much as they teach and share the theology of the denomination they are tied to, they never insist that students agree. They explain the five points of Calvinism or the various ways a piece of Scripture might be interpreted, but they also acknowledge that students may follow a different tradition of belief, and that's okay. The school suggests that rather than teaching students what specific tradition to believe, they equip students to be better-informed believers of any Christian tradition. 

For reference, I used to be much more combative than I am now. I insisted upon being right in everything, and was determined to debate anyone and everyone until they agreed with me. I never considered trying to understand others with an open mind, and I think much of this feeling of competition stemmed from the way I was brought up. The church I grew up in was one filled with wise, strong believers, but I repeatedly felt a theme of insistence and judgement. We dwelled in the idea that if people believed something different than we did, they were either unintelligent or misinformed, and that there was no logical way to reach a conclusion different from our own. 

I think this is a trend throughout much of the Protestant church, at least in the wingspan I have encountered. Many believers are so caught up in the apologetics of defending their faith that they never stop to consider the flaws of their own ideas and the truth lying latent in the beliefs of others. 

This is not to say that apologetics are bad. Believers can and should equip themselves with enough knowledge and understanding of Scripture and church tradition to explain and defend their own beliefs. However, when we go so far as to suggest other members of a godly church are "going to hell" for having a different opinion on a non-salvatory issue, it is due time for believers to recognize a need for change.

"Shut your mouth. Open your eyes and ears." - C.S. Lewis's Surprised by Joy

Christians should familiarize themselves with the beliefs and doctrines of the church, regardless of what branch of the church they belong to. They should also, however, approach other members of other denominations with open minds. When I speak to my Catholic roommate about Catholic teachings, I am forced to approach the subject with humility in the knowledge that I do not know or fully understand the teachings of the Catholic church. I must have the humility to recognize that I cannot adequately discuss the potential disagreements we might have without first listening and attempting to understand what exactly it is that the church teaches, and what she, as an individual, believes. 

The same goes for individual branches of the Protestant church, and for discussions between Christians and those of other religions. To honestly disagree with another person, particularly in matters that are spiritual, we must first understand their perspective. Perhaps this is a case for Christians to read the Quran or the Book of Mormon, albeit with the knowledge and understanding that spiritual truth is found in the foundations of the Bible alone. Familiarizing oneself with the beliefs of others, however, is the first step to understanding what one might have in common. It also helps to solidify why we agree or disagree with another. 

"Nothing, I suspect, is more astonishing in any man's life than the discovery that there do exist people very, very like himself." - C.S. Lewis's Surprised by Joy

It is also worth recognizing that within the Christian church, while we have a wide range of beliefs and interpretations of Scripture, disagreement does not disqualify salvation. Presbyterians and Baptists can disagree on pedobaptism, but it does not make one branch of the church more or less Christian than another. These issues are important to understand and discuss, but they do not, in most cases, determine the status of one's faith. 

I think this is particularly important when bridging the gap between the Catholic and Protestant churches. While we may have wildly different beliefs, and I believe that the Catholic church is incorrect on several issues, there are still many true believers within the Catholic church. There are still men and women with incredible faith, and though their traditions and practices may be greatly different from my own, we worship and recognize the same Jesus. 

There is much harmony to be found in the church. To bring it to fruition, however, believers must be willing to lay down their guard and investigate what and why others believe. We must be willing to accept our own faults and understand our so-called opponents. To practice communion within the church, we must balance the defense of truth with the recognition of peaceful disagreement, and know when the time is right to confront or confirm our brothers and sisters in Christ. 

Comments

Popular Posts

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - John Milton